Risk Factors for Diabetes Prevalence
Risk FactorsBeing overweight or obese is a major risk factor for developing diabetes. The risk of developing diabetes can be substantially reduced through weight loss and regular physical activity. Some risk factors cannot be modified, such as older age or membership in a minority racial or ethnic group. Nevertheless, risk can be substantially reduced by eating a healthy diet and participating in regular physical activity.
Related Risk Factors Indicators:
- Diabetes: Prediabetes Prevalence
- Obesity - Adults (18+) (HA2020 Leading Health Indicator: 4B)
- Overweight - Adults (18+) (HA2020 Leading Health Indicator: 4A)
- Physical Activity - Adults (18+) - Recommended Levels - 2008 Guidelines (HA2020 Leading Health Indicator: 6A)
- Tobacco Use - Adolescents (Grades 9-12) - No Use (HA2020 Leading Health Indicator: 2)